Caprese salad is a super simple salad made of tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil. I usually think of it as a summer salad, when tomatoes are in season where I live.
But, this is the Christmas version—formed into a candy cane design for a fun and festive take on this classic salad.
Related: Find more holiday appetizer ideas in our archive.
Caprese Salad Ingredients:
- Tomatoes – the more flavorful and fresh the better
- Fresh Mozzarella – I like to slice this myself to get the thickness I prefer
- Basil – The leaves can stay whole or you can chop them up to sprinkle over the salad
- Olive Oil & Salt – to drizzle and sprinkle over the top before serving
Tips for Making Caprese Salad:
- Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella a similar thickness for a uniform serving look.
- You can still achieve this candy cane look even if you choose to chop the items into cubes or smaller pieces.
- Drizzle with olive oil and then sprinkle on a little flaky sea salt just before serving.
Although this salad is great on its own, here are some things you might want to serve it with:
For more recipes like this one, don’t forget to subscribe!
Get creative ideas for recipes, crafts, decor, and more in your inbox!
Wash and slice the tomatoes into thin pieces, removing any steam areas as needed.
Slice the mozzarella into thin or thick pieces depending on your preference.
Leave the basil leaves whole or chop into small pieces.
Arrange the ingredients in a candy cane design.
Drizzle with oil and sprinkle on sea salt before serving.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.